Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash
During the lovely time that I have spent quarantining, I focused a lot on understanding myself better and what I need to do to improve my life. I thought about all of the changes I want to make in my life and I was met with a little disappointment. Anyone care to guess why?
I thought about how all the changes I want to make are the same changes I have been wanting to make for months, if not years. The issue with that, is that I’ve tried to make these changes time and time again.
So I sat there, and thought to myself… why do I struggle so hard to succeed at making a positive change in my life? I decided to come up with my own personal list of the top 5 reasons I personally have trouble succeeding, purely from my own observation and understanding of oneself.
- I expect immediate gratification: This is absolutely 100% the reason I have trouble following through with something from start to finish. When I don’t see results overnight, I lose motivation and in most cases, I will give up all together. This affects me most regarding my desire to lose weight and get in shape. I know what it takes to lose the weight, but I am definitely discouraged when I am in the early stages of a weight loss journey and I don’t see any progress immediately.
- Low Confidence: I definitely go through stages of my life when I am more confident at times. I’m sure everyone does. These stages are super sporadic for me, and it has been a long while since I’ve felt a burst of confidence. I miss that feeling. I definitely do notice my self esteem decline at times more when I find myself comparing my progress to the progress of others. For myself, that is definitely a mental thing and for me to pull myself out of the low confidence mentality, I just have to “fake it til I make it”.
- Thinking I Don’t Deserve Success: As someone who has suffered from depressive thoughts and tendencies for the past decade, I’m often at battle with myself. Some days, I feel very low of myself and that I do not deserve to succeed. There are days where I just think I am a bad person and I end up at war with myself because if I don’t believe in myself, then who will?
- Fear: Circling back to #3, I asked who would believe in me if I didn’t. See, this is an issue I have. Being so concerned about what others think is going to be the death of me, I swear. I fear that a little too much. I am also definitely super scared of failing. Often times, in fear of failing, I just won’t try it all. Shame on me, because I just cheated myself out of something that could have been potentially awesome for me.
- I LOVE TO MAKE EXCUSES: I mean, it’s literally in my name! I am the queen of excuses! And you wanna know whats funny? Each of those reasons listed above, all legitimate reasons why I fail to succeed, are usually just covered up with an excuse. I’m aware how detrimental this can be, especially when coming up with excuses becomes a common habit. You know what they say, excuses always sound better to the person who is making them.
I hope you guys enjoyed this little read, please let me know if you have any questions or comments! Why do you think you have trouble succeeding in some area of your life?